Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Green Thumbs Up!

For the past month, I have been visiting local produce stands and stocking up on fruits and veggies. It feels so great to eat healthy and clean. I started thinking about making my own little garden. I don't have a very big back yard but do have a small area that I thought just might be the spot for one. So I started doing a little research on how difficult it would be to make a small garden.......


These are some adorable little gardens I saw on Pinterest the other day that are called "above ground" gardens. They are ideal for people like me who don't have a lot of space for a large garden but still want to enjoy growing a few things. There are many different ways to go about building one, but most pictures and directions that I saw were just made out of wood or pallets. I didn't want anything huge, just a few vegetables and fruits of my own. Now, the next step was getting my husband to agree to digging up a small portion of our yard to do so....

I only mentioned the garden once and....to my surprise.... he actually went for the idea! Without me even asking, he went to Home Depot and found this fabulous kit where all you have to do is put the sides together!!! It was the perfect size and easy to assemble. The particular kit that he bought was $79.97 and is called the Greenes Fence 48 in. x 96 in. Cedar Raised Garden Bed.


A few hours of digging up some grass and 11 bags of soil later, hard work paid off and we now have a little garden! (I would have helped with all that but of course I was inside doing school work- besides, I think he wants all this to be his idea now, lol.) I went to Manna Grocery and bought some organic Botanical Interests brand seeds. I chose summer quash, zucchini, yellow onions, pepperoncinis, sweet bell peppers, and broccoli. We are also going to get 4 tomato plants this weekend.  In approximately 60 days I should see some results!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment